ceturtdiena, 2012. gada 27. septembris

British vs American English

When students study English, they quite frequently ask the teacher whether the English they are studying is British or American English. I usually tell them I do not have any preference as regards one or the other, as there is also a term "general English" or "global English". Sometimes I try to demonstrate the differences by giving examples, sometimes students themselves bring examples to class for discussion. However, the argument is always alive and this article from BBC news shows exactly what I mean :)

If you have come across any good examples, you are welcome to join the discussion :)

1 komentārs:

  1. I myself am taught by the American English, so whenever I see 'centre' instead of 'center' or 'fibre' instead of 'fiber', I take it as a typo when in fact it isn't. Not to mention that some Brits spell liters 'litres'.

    AtbildētDzēst